This smoky BBQ beans mix is everything! I use it in so many recipes. This time its in courgette boats but this versatile dish can be served with steamed veg, roast carrots or rice . You could even have it on its own for a smaller meal.
Beans and lentils are a great source of not just protein and iron but fibre too and they have so much variety. I tried to research how many different types of beans there are on the planet. The most I could find was a list containing 21 different bean varieties and I suspect there are many more. Beans typically come either dried or canned. If you use dried beans they usually need soaking over night. I prefer to use canned for convenience and this particular bean mix contained: kidney beans, green beans, adzuki beans, haricot beans and sweetcorn. To this I added chickpeas and green lentils. You can use whatever beans or pulses you like, its all about the BBQ flavouring for this dish.
The hollowing of the courgette boats causes a fair amount of uncalled for courgette. Save this and check out my Med Veg Stew recipe to save it going to waste. I’m also working on another recipe that may have a use for it!
Preheat your oven to 180C. Using a knife, slice a side of the courgette lengthways to reveal the inside. Using a spoon, dig out the inside of the courgette leaving enough at this sides and bottom for it to maintain its strength. Bare in mind it will wilt slightly as it cooks. Repeat for as many courgettes as needed, I would recommend 2 per person or 1 if they are large courgettes. Place on baking tray in the oven for 30 minutes or until edges start to brown.
The BBQ beans:
Meanwhile, put all bean ingredients in a saucepan and mix well. Heat on low heat for 10 minutes until all flavours are thoroughly incorporated within the beans. If the BBQ beans mixture gets too dry to stick together use a splash of water or another teaspoon of tomato puree.
- Banana chips recipe
- Chicken Fajita Recipe
- Sausage and Broccoli Orzo Recipe
- Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Ratatouille Baked Potato recipe
BBQ Beans in Courgette Boats
- 2 whole courgettes
- 100 g mixed beans cooked
- 50 g chickpeas cooked
- 50 g lentils cooked
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 spring onion chopped
- 1 tsp sweetener
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 180C. Cut side of courgette lengthways to reveal inside. Scoop out with a spoon.2 whole courgettes
- Place courgettes on baking tray and bake for 20-30 minutes until cooked.
- Meanwhile, place all other ingredients into a saucepan and mix well until the wet ingredients and seasonings form a slight sauce, heat on low for 5-10 minutes until hot throughout.100 g mixed beans, 50 g chickpeas, 50 g lentils, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp water, 1 spring onion, 1 tsp sweetener, ½ tsp onion powder, 2 tsp paprika, ½ tsp garlic powder, ⅛ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper, ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- Take the courgettes out of the oven and fill with the bean mixture. Serve any left over bean mixture on the side to ensure you get your full dose of nutrients.