The traditional mac and cheese is without a doubt one of my favourite meals, unfortunately, it’s a very unhealthy meal. I’m all for a bit of what you love, in a healthier way. That’s when replacing the macaroni with broccoli was inspired, I really love this low calorie alternative. Of course the obvious option would be to do a cauliflower cheese recipe but as much as I admire cauliflower I think it spends enough time in the spotlight. Broccoli really deserves some time to shine. This is also a great way to get kids eating those little trees! The best part about macaroni cheese is the indulgent cheese sauce. Your getting just that with broccoli cheese. By using low fat cheeses and no butter in the sauce the calories are kept nice and low. This can be a weekly staple in your house too!
Preheat your oven to 180C. Boil a head of broccoli for 10 minutes. It needs to still be firm. Place the broccoli florets in an ovenproof dish and set to one side for when you’ve made the cheese sauce.
Measure 200ml of milk, I use oat milk but any type of milk is fine. Add to this 1 tablespoon of corn flour and mix well until all lumps have dissolved. Heat gently in a saucepan, stirring constantly until the sauce starts to thicken. Add 100g of low fat cream cheese, 1 teaspoon of paprika, ¼ teaspoon mustard powder, 1 tablespoon parmesan and a pinch of salt and pepper and mix well. Heat for a further 1 minute whilst continuing to stir.
Pour the cheese over the broccoli. Top with 10g of grated low fat cheddar and place in the oven for 30 minutes. The broccoli cheese with be golden and crispy on top.
Now that you’ve made broccoli cheese, check out my latest recipes:
- Banana chips recipe
- Chicken Fajita Recipe
- Sausage and Broccoli Orzo Recipe
- Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Ratatouille Baked Potato recipe
Please consider liking and following my Instagram and Facebook @ HealthyHeartyWholesome. Not only does it help you to stay up to date with all of these cool recipes but it helps support me, which means i can continue to bring you these super yummy recipes for FREE!
- 1 head of broccoli steamed or boiled
- 100 g cream cheeese low fat
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp parmesan
- 10 g cheddar low fat
- 200 ml milk of your choice
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ¼ tsp mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Steam or boil 1 head of broccoli florets and place in an oven proof dish. Pre heat oven to 180c1 head of broccoli
- Measure 200ml of milk and 1 tablespoon of corn flour and mix well. Heat gently in a saucepan stirring constantly. Once thickened add in cream cheese, parmesan, paprika, mustard, salt and pepper and heat for one more minute, continuing to stir.100 g cream cheeese, 1 tbsp corn flour, 1 tbsp parmesan, 200 ml milk, 1 tbsp paprika, ¼ tsp mustard, salt and pepper
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli and top with grated cheddar cheese. Heat in the oven for 25 minutes or until the cheese has gone golden on top.10 g cheddar
- Enjoy your yummy healthy dinner and tag me in photos on Instagram @HealthyHeartyWholesome