What is chai banana bread?
Banana bread is a beloved classic, but what if we could make it even better? Enter our Healthy Chai Banana Bread, a delightful fusion of the timeless goodness of banana bread and the warm, fragrant embrace of chai spice. This wholesome and low-calorie snack is not only a treat for your taste buds but also a nourishing choice for your health. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the steps to create this delectable Chai Banana Bread and explore why it’s the perfect blend of healthy banana bread, chai spice, and a guilt-free low-calorie snack.
Why these flavours pair so well
The flavours of chai spice and ripe bananas come together harmoniously to create a symphony of taste and aroma. The sweet, earthy notes of ripe bananas meld seamlessly with the warm and comforting essence of chai spice. This combination offers a balanced and satisfying flavour profile that’s perfect for a healthy banana bread that won’t derail your diet.
The health benefits of chai banana bread
- Bananas: Packed with vitamins and minerals, bananas are a good source of potassium, vitamin C, and dietary fiber. They promote heart health, aid digestion, and may even help regulate blood sugar levels.
- Chai Spice: As mentioned in our previous blog post, chai spice is a powerhouse of health benefits. It offers antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, and potential digestive benefits.
- Honey: A natural sweetener that’s less processed than white sugar and provides small amounts of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Wholemeal Flour: Rich in fiber and nutrients, wholemeal flour contributes to better digestion and sustained energy.
- Eggs: A good source of protein and essential nutrients like vitamin B12 and selenium.
- Vanilla Extract: Adds depth and warmth to the flavor profile while also offering potential antioxidant benefits.
Do you have a diet restriction?
Step 1: Make the chai spice mix.
Mix together 4 tsp sweet cinnamon, 1 tsp ground cardamom, 1 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg to make approximately 2-3 tbsp of chai spice for this recipe. This chai spice mix has so many uses and health benefits that I really would recommend you make a larger batch. Check out the full recipe below.
Step 2: Mix together your wet ingredients:
In a bowl, begin by mashing the ripe bananas until they form a smooth, creamy consistency. Then, add in the honey, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix these wet ingredients together until they are beautifully incorporated, creating a luscious base for your banana bread.
Step 3: Mix together your dry ingredients:
In another bowl, it’s time to combine the dry ingredients. Blend the flour, chai spice, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, and salt. Slowly introduce this dry mixture to the wet ingredients, stirring gently with care. Witness the transformation as the batter becomes a harmonious blend, carrying the essence of chai spice within.
Step 4: Bake to perfection:
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C), creating the perfect environment for your banana bread to flourish. Pour the fragrant batter into a greased loaf pan, ensuring an even distribution. Allow it to bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted into the center, emerges clean and satisfied. A golden-brown crust will embrace the low-calorie snack that lies within.
- Nutty Delight: Enhance your Chai Banana Bread by adding a handful of chopped nuts, such as walnuts or almonds, to the batter. This will introduce a delightful crunch and an extra layer of nutrition.
- Chocolate Indulgence: For a sweeter twist, fold in some chocolate chips into the batter before baking. The combination of chocolate and chai spice is a match made in dessert heaven.
How should I store the Chai Banana Bread?
To keep your banana bread fresh, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. For longer storage, refrigerate for up to a week, or freeze slices for up to 3 months.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, you can! Simply substitute the flour with a gluten-free flour blend of your choice, and ensure your baking powder and baking soda are also gluten-free. As some GF flours are more absorbent than regular flour, you may need to add extra egg.
What can I serve with Chai Banana Bread?
Enjoy your slices as is or spread with a layer of nut butter, cream cheese, or a drizzle of honey for added flavour.
Can I reduce the honey for a lower-sugar version?
Absolutely. Feel free to adjust the honey to your taste or dietary preferences. You can even explore alternative sweeteners like maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Chicken And Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Vegan Lentil Bolognese Recipe
- Warm Aubergine Salad Recipe
- Chai Spice Recipe
- Chai Banana Bread Recipe
Please consider liking and following my Instagram and Facebook @ HealthyHeartyWholesome. Not only does it help you to stay up to date with all of these cool recipes but it helps support me, which means I can continue to bring you these super yummy healthy recipes for weight loss for FREE!