Mediterranean vegetable stew has been a favourite of mine since I was a teenager. Its a real healthy eating gem and one that I think all recipe blogs should have! The unique flavour combinations open up a world of possibilities. In this Mediterranean vegetable stew I used red onion, courgette, aubergine, cherry tomatoes and peppers. Because I make dishes like these so often I pre prepare my veg and freeze it into portions. This stew can be served with mashed potato, rice, or if you eat fish, salmon fillets and tuna steaks are a great source of protein to add to this dish. I made my stew in a slow cooker but this stew is also well suited to the stove top, adjust cooking times accordingly. This stew serves 2.
Roughly chop your red onion and pepper and slice your courgette and aubergine but leave your tomatoes whole. If you’d like to add to the aesthetic, you can lightly sauté or grill your vegetables for a few minutes first but if not you can skip this step and add them straight to your slow cooker or saucepan. If you’d like to pre prepare your veg like I have done, you can go ahead and freeze it now. Add in your bay leaves, paprika, garlic, basil and cayenne along with your tomato puree and vegetable stock and heat on low for 4 hours.
Mix up a cornflour slurry with a large spoonful of your stew water and mix into the stew well. Leave to thicken for another hour, if you would like your stew thicker you can also leave the lid off the slow cooker for the last hour.
Serve with rice, mashed potato or crusty bread.
Don’t forget to tag me in pictures of your creations on Instagram @healthyheartywholesome
- Banana chips recipe
- Chicken Fajita Recipe
- Sausage and Broccoli Orzo Recipe
- Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Ratatouille Baked Potato recipe
Please consider liking and following my Instagram and Facebook @ HealthyHeartyWholesome. Not only does it help you to stay up to date with all of these cool recipes but it helps support me, which means i can continue to bring you these super yummy recipes for FREE!
Mediterranean Vegetable Stew Recipe
- 1 courgette
- 1 aubergine
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 bay leaves
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- Roughly chop onion and red pepper. Slice Courgette and Aubergine.1 courgette, 1 red pepper, 1 red onion, 1 aubergine
- Lightly sauté the vegetables for 2-3 minutes before adding them to the slow cooker or freezing for later. (optional)
- Add other ingredients to slow cooker and heat on low for 3 hours.10 cherry tomatoes, 1 tsp basil, ½ tsp cayenne, 1 clove garlic, 1 tbsp paprika, 3 tbsp tomato puree, 400 ml vegetable stock, 3 bay leaves
- Mix up the cornflour with a large spoonful of the stock from your stew to create a cornflour slurry and then mix in well with the stew.2 tbsp corn flour
- Leave to thicken for 1 hour, leaving the lid off if necessary.