Strawberry chia jam is a healthy and low-calorie option to the traditional jams available on the market. This recipe is incredibly simple to make, and it requires only a few ingredients such as strawberries and chia seeds. The jam is free of preservatives, added sugars, and artificial flavours, making it a great addition to your breakfast, snacks, or desserts. Additionally, the chia seeds used in this recipe are a great source of fibre, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids, while the strawberries are packed with vitamin C and antioxidants. So, by making this recipe, you not only get to enjoy a delicious and fresh taste of homemade jam but also benefit from the nutritional value it provides.
Do you have a diet restriction?
- Vegan (when the optional honey is substituted or omitted)
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Low Fat
- Low FODMAP
- Paleo Friendly
Step 1: Prepare the strawberries
Start by coring and halving or quartering 300g worth of fresh strawberries. Add the strawberries to a medium-sized saucepan and heat them over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until they become soft and juicy. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Mash the strawberries to your desired consistency using a fork or potato masher.
Step 2: Chia seeds
Once the strawberries are mashed to your preferred consistency, remove from the heat and add in 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and 1 tsp of lemon juice. Stir well to combine. For an extra touch of sweetness, you can also add in a spoonful of honey.
Step 3: Storing the strawberry chia jam
Leave the strawberry chia jam to cool slightly before transferring it to a clean jar and let it cool before storing it in the refrigerator. The jam will continue to thicken until completely cooled.
In conclusion, this strawberry chia jam is a perfect alternative to traditional store-bought jams, which are often loaded with sugar and preservatives. With just a few simple steps, you can make a healthy and delicious spread that will impress your family and friends. Give it a try and enjoy the fresh taste of homemade jam!
How to serve strawberry chia jam
Strawberry chia jam can be used for various purposes. Here are some ideas:
- Spread on Toast: This jam is a delicious alternative to regular jam on toast. Simply spread it on whole-grain toast for a healthy and satisfying breakfast.
- Topping for Yogurt or Oatmeal: Add a dollop of strawberry chia jam on top of your morning yogurt or oatmeal for a burst of flavor.
- Filling for Pastries: This jam makes a great filling for pastries such as muffins, cakes, and tarts. Use it as a filling between layers of cake or as a topping on muffins.
- Sauce for Meat or Fish: Strawberry chia jam can be used as a sauce for meats such as chicken or fish. Simply heat it up and use it as a glaze or dipping sauce.
- Smoothie Bowl Topping: Add a spoonful of strawberry chia jam on top of your smoothie bowl for added flavor and nutrition.
- Ice Cream Topping: Drizzle strawberry chia jam over your favorite ice cream flavor for a fruity and healthy topping.
Overall, the possibilities are endless with this versatile jam. So, get creative and enjoy this healthy and delicious treat in various ways!
Strawberry chia jam variations:
Why not try:
- Mixed Berry Chia Jam: Replace the strawberries with your favourite berries such as blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries, or a combination of all.
- Peach Chia Jam: Swap out the strawberries with fresh peaches for a delicious twist on this recipe.
- Vanilla Chia Jam: Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the recipe for a subtle vanilla flavor.
- Spiced Chia Jam: Add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to the recipe for a warm and cozy flavor.
How long will this recipe last in the fridge?
This jam can last for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator when stored in a clean and airtight jar. Make sure to watch closely for any signs of spoiling.
Can I make this jam with frozen strawberries?
Yes, you can use frozen strawberries instead of fresh for this recipe, they work really well, sometimes even better as they are already soft once defrosted. Just make sure to thaw them first before cooking.
Can I substitute the honey?
Yes, you can totally swap the honey for something else such as sugar, sweetener or maple syrup for a vegan alternative. You can even omit the honey from the recipe if you prefer a less sweet jam, its totally optional.
Can I use ground chia seeds?
Yes, you can use ground chia seeds instead of whole ones. However, keep in mind that the texture of the jam may be slightly different. This may be preferable to some and you can even blend your strawberries and chia seeds together for a smoother jam.
Can I use this jam as a filling for baked goods?
Yes, this jam works great as a filling for baked goods such as muffins, cakes, and tarts. Just make sure to cool it down completely before using it as a filling.
- Chicken And Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Vegan Lentil Bolognese Recipe
- Warm Aubergine Salad Recipe
- Chai Spice Recipe
- Chai Banana Bread Recipe
Please consider liking and following my Instagram and Facebook @ HealthyHeartyWholesome. Not only does it help you to stay up to date with all of these cool recipes but it helps support me, which means I can continue to bring you these super yummy healthy recipes for weight loss for FREE!