You can’t have a recipe blog without including a stuffed aubergine at some point. It’s a timeless classic for the vegetarian and vegan community. This recipe however, is only suitable for vegetarians as the sauce covering the stuffing Is made with cream cheese. You could however try this dish with a vegan cheese alternative. When I stuff vegetables of any sort I have a strong urge to just pile up the cheese and add nothing else. Seriously is there anything better than a big pile of melted cheese? To keep this dish healthy, I stuffed this aubergine with rice flavoured with mushroom, onion and just a dash of soy sauce. The rice is then topped with a cheese dip and baked until the cheese on top is golden and crispy.
The cream cheese is worth making in larger quantities as it goes great on so many things. One of my personal favourites is using it as a topper for salmon or as a dip for veggie sticks! Personally I think this is a whole dish on its own. It doesn’t need pairing with anything but I had some peas that needed using up so I added them. As usual my recipes are intended to suit 1 person, so don’t forget to change ingredient quantities to suit.
Firstly, slice one side off the aubergine and scoop out the insides. Like with my courgette boat recipe, you can save the insides of the aubergine and add it to a Mediterranean vegetable stew.
Cream cheese and red pepper dip:
Roast ½ of a red pepper and when cooled add it to a blender along with 50g cream cheese, salt and pepper. If your dip is too thin, place in a saucepan and heat until thickened. Want to make more of the red pepper cheese dip? Use 200g cream cheese and 1 ½ red peppers. Don’t forget to show me what you’re using your red pepper for on Instagram by tagging @HealthyHeartyWholesome in your photos.
Put your cream cheese to one side and make a start on your rice filling. Slice up 3 chestnut mushrooms along with ⅓ of a red onion. You can use any onion I just always prefer to use red onion regardless of what dish I’m cooking. Sauté the mushrooms and onions until cooked then add the cooked rice and soy sauce, or salt if you prefer and cook for 1 minute more.
Stuff your aubergine with the rice mixture and top with the red pepper cream cheese dip. Bake in oven for 30-40 minutes at 180c until the stuffed aubergine is soft and the cheese is crispy on top.
- 1 aubergine
- ⅓ cup cooked rice
- 3 chestnut mushrooms
- ⅓ onion
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- ½ roasted red pepper
- 50 g cream cheese low fat
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice one side of the aubergine off and scoop out the insides, leave enough at the sides for the aubergine to remain stable.1 aubergine
- Roast a red pepper and blend half of it along with 50g cream cheese.½ roasted red pepper, 50 g cream cheese
- Transfer cream cheese to a saucepan and heat until thickness returns to desired thickness, place to one side.
- In a frying pan sauté sliced mushrooms with diced onions until well cooked, add in cooked rice and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce or a sprinkle of salt if you prefer, cook for 1 minute more.⅓ cup cooked rice, 3 chestnut mushrooms, ⅓ onion, 2 tsp light soy sauce, salt and pepper
- Spoon the rice into the aubergine and top with the red pepper cream cheese. Bake in the oven at 180c for 30-40 minutes or until the top of the cheese is brown and crispy and the aubergine is soft.