Why is this sugar free ketchup the best?
I’ve tried so many home made tomato sauce recipes over the years. Some sugar free, some crammed with sugar, but nothing compared to the shop bought ketchups that are full of processed ingredients. I’ve spent a long time perfecting and combining many different recipes to create the ultimate, perfect, sugar free ketchup! Not only does is contain no sugar but as a result its only 35 calories for a large 4oz pot full shown in the photos. I’m crazy for condiments and even I over judged how much sauce I would eat in one sitting so I would recommend slightly smaller pots than I have used! P.S. Don’t forget to subscribe and follow me on socials so that you never miss any of my healthy recipes for weight loss.
This sugar free ketchup recipe is great for those with restrictive diets such as:
- Dairy free
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
- Low GI
- Low FODMAP
A note about portion sizes:
This recipe makes approximately 12oz of sauce depending on how thick or how thin you prefer your condiment. I’ve found this sauce has a multitude of uses too, not just as a ketchup. I’ve used it as a base for meatball sauce and chilli sauce, as a pizza sauce, I’ve even put it in falafel wraps and added chopped tomatoes to turn it into a salsa for tacos. I used organic passata (sieved tomatoes) for this recipe however fresh or chopped will also work but double the amount of tomato and blend/strain before cooking.
Need something to add this sugar free ketchup too? What about my bean burger or turkey burger!
Step 1: Mix ingredients
First to make this sugar free ketchup we need to add all of our ingredients to a saucepan. This recipe calls for 500g of passata. If you would like to make your passata from scratch you will need 1-2kg of tomatoes however this will largely depend on the water content of those tomatoes. Add the sweetener, ACV, garlic powder, onion powder, all spice and mustard powder into the passata.
Step 2: Heat until thickened
Stir well and heat on a medium heat. My biggest tip for making this sugar free ketchup is to cover the saucepan you are using with a lid, it doesn’t have to be a perfectly fitting one just useful enough to stop the passata splattering everywhere as it thickens.
Leave the passata mixture to thicken to the desired thickness, removing the lid to stir regularly. Once your sauce is as thick as you desire remove from the heat and leave to cool before portioning out or bottling.
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
Can I Use Fresh Tomatoes Instead of Passata?
- While fresh tomatoes can be used, using passata ensures a smoother consistency. If using fresh tomatoes, consider blending them for a smoother texture.
Is There a Recommended Sweetener?
- The choice of sweetener is flexible based on personal preference. Popular options include erythritol, stevia, or monk fruit sweetener.
How Long Does the Sugar-Free Ketchup Last?
- Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, this sugar-free ketchup can last for up to two weeks but can last forever in the freezer. Ensure it is properly cooled before refrigerating or freezing.
Can I Adjust the Spices to My Taste?
- Absolutely! Feel free to tweak the garlic powder, onion granules, allspice, and mustard amounts to suit your flavor preferences.
Smoky Flavor Twist:
- For a smokier taste, add a pinch of smoked paprika or a few drops of liquid smoke during the cooking process.
- Introduce some heat by adding a dash of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to the mix. Adjust according to your spice preference.
- Elevate the flavor profile with dried herbs like oregano, basil, or thyme. Experiment to find your perfect herb blend.
New recipes to have your sugar free ketchup with:
- Chicken And Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Vegan Lentil Bolognese Recipe
- Warm Aubergine Salad Recipe
- Chai Spice Recipe
- Chai Banana Bread Recipe
Please consider liking and following my Instagram and Facebook @ HealthyHeartyWholesome. Not only does it help you to stay up to date with all of these cool recipes but it helps support me, which means I can continue to bring you these super yummy healthy recipes for weight loss for FREE!