What is a sweet potato buddha bowl?
A Buddha bowl, also known as a grain bowl or a macro bowl, is a balanced and wholesome meal served in a bowl, featuring a colourful medley of grains, proteins, vegetables, healthy fats, and dressings or sauces. These vibrant bowls have gained popularity among health-conscious individuals seeking a nourishing and visually appealing feast that satisfies both the palate and the soul. Today, we present a delicious sweet potato Buddha bowl recipe that combines the earthy sweetness of sweet potatoes, the smoky flavours of roasted peppers and red onions, the richness of black beans, the freshness of spinach, the creaminess of hummus, and the crunch of almonds. Get ready to indulge in a harmonious blend of flavours, textures, and nutrients with this delightful Buddha bowl recipe.
Do you have a diet restriction?
This sweet potato buddha bowl is:
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Low fat
Each ingredient in this sweet potato Buddha bowl recipe has been thoughtfully selected to provide a diverse array of nutrients and flavors. Let’s explore their benefits:
- Sweet Potatoes: Rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, sweet potatoes provide a natural sweetness and a satisfying texture that complements other ingredients perfectly.
- Roasted Peppers and Red Onions: Roasting these vegetables enhances their natural sweetness and imparts a smoky depth to the bowl. They are packed with antioxidants and add a burst of color.
- Black Beans: An excellent plant-based protein source, black beans are high in fiber, iron, and folate. They provide a hearty and filling component to the Buddha bowl.
- Fresh Spinach: Adding a dose of green goodness, fresh spinach is rich in iron, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants. It adds a fresh and vibrant element to the bowl.
- Hummus: A creamy and tangy plant-based protein source, hummus brings a delightful creaminess to the bowl. It also provides healthy fats and essential amino acids.
- Almonds: These crunchy nuts are a great source of healthy fats, protein, and fiber. They add texture and a nutty flavor while providing a satisfying crunch.
Step 1: Roast the sweet potatoes and vegetables
Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Peel and dice the sweet potatoes, then toss them with a little salt. Spread the sweet potatoes on a baking tray and roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender and golden. In the meantime, chop the onions and peppers into large chunks, and add them to the baking tray for 15-20 minutes or until charred and tender.
Step 2: Prepare the beans
Rinse and drain the black beans. Warm them in a small saucepan over medium heat, seasoning with a little paprika. Stir occasionally until heated through.
Step 3: Build your buddha bowl
You can arrange your buddha bowl in whatever fashion you like, i went for separate piles of all of my individual ingredients, first a generous portion of roasted sweet potatoes, red peppers and onion, a handful of spinach leaves topped with the almonds and a large spoonful of hummus, I chose a red pepper hummus but there are a wide variety to choose from.
Customize your Buddha bowl based on personal preferences and ingredient availability. Here are a few suggestions:
- Grain Base: Include cooked quinoa, brown rice, or couscous as the foundation for your bowl.
- Protein Options: Swap the black beans for chickpeas, grilled tofu, or roasted chicken.
- Veggie Varieties: Experiment with different roasted vegetables like zucchini, eggplant, or cherry tomatoes.
- Sauce Selections: Try different dressings or sauces, such as tahini, peanut sauce, or balsamic glaze.
Can I meal prep buddha bowls?
Absolutely! You can pre-roast the vegetables, cook the grains, and prepare the beans ahead of time. Store each component separately in airtight containers, and assemble the bowl when you’re ready to enjoy it.
Can I omit or substitute any ingredients?
Certainly! Feel free to adjust the recipe according to your preferences and dietary needs. Substitute ingredients or remove them altogether based on your taste and dietary restrictions.
- Chicken And Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Vegan Lentil Bolognese Recipe
- Warm Aubergine Salad Recipe
- Chai Spice Recipe
- Chai Banana Bread Recipe
Please consider liking and following my Instagram and Facebook @ HealthyHeartyWholesome. Not only does it help you to stay up to date with all of these cool recipes but it helps support me, which means I can continue to bring you these super yummy healthy recipes for weight loss for FREE!