Just when I think I’m all soup-ed out, I create another super yummy, low calorie, yet filling soup recipe to warm your tummies! This time, it’s broccoli soup. As with many of my soups I use potato to thicken the broth into a creamy bowl of deliciousness and this recipe couldn’t be easier or quicker so it’s perfect for work day evenings. I had intended on making this soup for some of my lunches throughout the week but my son liked this soup so much that he ate the whole batch in just 24 hours, so i think it goes without saying this soup is child approved! This recipe will make 3 portions of soup so if you need more or less, please don’t forget to adjust the ingredient quantities! This soup will keep well in the fridge but is also freezeable.
Firstly, cut a head of fresh broccoli into florets, discarding the large stem section. A 300g head of broccoli should produce around 200g of florets but this will vary from area to area and even store to store so its best to double check. Peel and cut up 200g of potato (approx. 1 small potato) and add both to a large saucepan.
Prepare 1 litre of vegetable stock, you don’t have to make this yourself if you don’t want to, there are plenty of diet friendly options on the market these days! Add the stock to the saucepan and heat on a medium heat for around 30 minutes until the stock has reduced to around 50%.
Once blended, if your soup is not the desired thickness you can either add a little water to thin it or continue heating to thicken it up. A word of warning here: Heating thick liquids can cause a lot of messy splatters which can also cause burns so please use a splatter guard or loose fitting lid.
Ladle your soup into bowls and garnish with a small sprinkle of cheddar and some very small pieces of broccoli before serving.
- Banana chips recipe
- Chicken Fajita Recipe
- Sausage and Broccoli Orzo Recipe
- Broccoli Soup Recipe
- Ratatouille Baked Potato recipe
Please consider liking and following my Instagram and Facebook @ HealthyHeartyWholesome. Not only does it help you to stay up to date with all of these cool recipes but it helps support me, which means i can continue to bring you these super yummy recipes for FREE!
Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 200 g broccoli
- 200 g potato
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 10 g low calorie cheddar optional
- Chop up your head of broccoli into florets, a 300g head of broccoli will produce roughly 200g of florets.
- Peel and chop your potato and put both ingredients into a large saucepan.
- Prepare 1 litre of vegetable stock and add to the saucepan, heat on medium for roughly 25 minutes or until the water has reduced about 50%
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender and ladle into bowls. Garnish with a small sprinkle of cheese and small pieces of broccoli.
- Don't forget to tag me in your creations of Instagram @healthyheartywholesome