What is an oaty berry crumble?
Warm, sweet, and brimming with the essence of summer, the Oaty Berry Crumble is a hot dessert that has stood the test of time, originating from the cherished traditions of old-fashioned comfort food. This delicious dish brings together a medley of summer fruits such as strawberries, blackberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, and blueberries, creating a symphony of flavors that can transport you straight to a sun-soaked berry patch. As we delve into this recipe, we’ll explore not only the delightful taste but also its wholesome, healthy, and low-calorie attributes that make it a perfect treat for any time of the year
What makes this oaty berry crumble healthy?
The Oaty Berry Crumble is not just a delightful treat for your taste buds, but it’s also a healthy dessert option. The summer fruits featured in this recipe are not only delicious but packed with essential vitamins, antioxidants, and dietary fibre. Berries, like strawberries and blueberries, are known for their antioxidant properties, while oats offer a generous dose of fibre, which aids in digestion and helps maintain steady blood sugar levels. The use of honey or maple syrup adds a touch of natural sweetness without excessive refined sugar, making it a suitable low-calorie pudding. The addition of cinnamon not only enhances the flavour but also provides potential health benefits such as anti-inflammatory properties and improved blood sugar control.
Do you have a diet restriction?
This oaty apple crumble recipe is great for the following restrictive diets:
- Gluten Free (unless coeliac/sensitive to “may contain”)
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Low GI
- Low Fat
Step 1: Prepare the fruit
Start by collecting around 200g of your choice of summer fruits. You can use a combination of strawberries, blackberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, and blueberries. You can also choose between fresh or frozen fruits, in summer, oaty berry crumble is a great excuse to go foraging for berries, check out my guide to foraging in the UK. Alternatively in winter months, frozen fruit bags work really well. Place them in a saucepan over low heat and gently cook for approximately 15 minutes or until they become soft and release their juices. If your fruit was frozen you may need to allow a little extra time for the juices to thicken although it will thicken more as it cools.
Step 2: Prepare the oats
While your fruits are simmering, take a separate bowl. Add 1 ½ cup of rolled oats. To this, add either 4 tablespoons of honey or 5 tablespoons of maple syrup. The key here is to ensure that the sweetener evenly coats the oats without making them too sticky. Stir the mixture until the oats have absorbed the honey or maple syrup, but they should not clump together. This mixture will give your crumble that delightful crunch and just the right amount of sweetness.
Step 3: Layer the oaty berry crumble
Once your mixed berries are soft and have turned into a luscious compote, it’s time to assemble your dessert. Transfer the berry mixture into a small ovenproof dish or divide it evenly between two single portion dishes if you prefer individual servings. Sprinkle a teaspoon of ground cinnamon evenly over the cooked fruit. The hint of cinnamon will add a warm and comforting aroma to your crumble.
Now, it’s time to add the oat mixture to your fruit. Take the oat and sweetener mixture you prepared earlier and spread it evenly over the fruit compote. The oats should be distributed uniformly, forming a delicious, golden topping.
Step 4: Bake to perfection
Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the dish(es) in the oven, and bake for 30-40 minutes. Keep an eye on your crumble; it’s ready when the oats on top have turned a beautiful, golden brown. The fruit underneath should be bubbling, and the aroma should fill your kitchen.
With these detailed steps, you can create an Oaty Berry Crumble that’s not only delicious but also a feast for the senses. The slow-cooked fruit, perfectly sweetened oats, and aromatic cinnamon create a delightful dessert that’s hot, healthy, and packed with the flavours of summer. Enjoy!
Oaty Berry Crumble variations:
- Traditional Oaty Apple Crumble: The Oaty Berry Crumble recipe is a delightful twist on the classic Oaty Apple Crumble. To make the traditional version, simply swap the mixed berries for a combination of sliced and peeled apples, such as Granny Smith or Braeburn. You can also add a hint of lemon juice and zest to brighten up the flavor.
- Nutty Crunch: For added texture and flavor, throw in a handful of chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans into your oat and sweetener mixture. The nuts will infuse your crumble with a delightful nutty crunch.
- Gluten-Free Option: If you’re following a gluten-free diet, make sure to use certified gluten-free oats in your recipe. This ensures that your Oaty Berry Crumble is safe for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
- Vegan-Friendly Version: To adapt this dessert for a vegan audience, replace honey with a vegan-friendly sweetener such as agave syrup or pure maple syrup. Also, use plant-based margarine or coconut oil instead of butter for greasing your baking dish.
- Single Serving Jars: Instead of using a single ovenproof dish, try assembling individual servings in small mason jars or ramekins. This creates a charming presentation for guests and ensures perfectly portioned desserts.
- Berry Medley: While the original recipe calls for a specific mix of summer berries, don’t hesitate to get creative. You can experiment with other berry combinations, like a mix of raspberries and blackberries or a trio of strawberries, blueberries, and redcurrants.
Can I use fresh berries instead of frozen ones?
Absolutely! Fresh berries work wonderfully in this recipe. You may need to adjust the cooking time slightly since fresh berries may cook faster than frozen but both work perfectly.
Is this dessert suitable for those with dietary restrictions?
Yes, it can be adapted to different dietary needs. Use gluten-free oats for a definite gluten-free version, or replace honey with a vegan-friendly sweetener like agave or maple syrup
Can I prepare Oaty Berry Crumble in advance?
Yes, you can make the fruit compote and the oat mixture ahead of time and assemble them just before baking. This recipe is perfect for entertaining.
In conclusion, the Oaty Berry Crumble is a delightful, hot dessert that strikes a balance between comfort food and a healthy, low-calorie pudding. Its versatility allows for endless variations, making it an ideal choice for dessert lovers of all preferences. Enjoy this wholesome, fruity treat and savour the taste of summer all year round.
- Fish Saganaki Recipe
- Vegan Lentil Meatballs Recipe
- Oaty Berry Crumble Recipe
- Food and Mood: How Your Diet Affects Your Mental Health
- Healthy Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Please consider liking and following my Instagram and Facebook @ HealthyHeartyWholesome. Not only does it help you to stay up to date with all of these cool recipes but it helps support me, which means I can continue to bring you these super yummy healthy recipes for weight loss for FREE!